Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My standing standard disclaimer. All opinions are just that, opinions. I do not have a very sophisticated palate and my word smithing is often very lacking. I will not give a cigar a rating on the pure fact that my tastes are my own and your experience would possible be different. All in all you should smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

Since this would be my first blog post I struggled over what cigar to smoke. I spent a good fifteen minutes rummaging through my work humidor trying to choose just the right cigar. Finally I said the heck with it, this is suppose to fun and relaxing, not stressful. I mean why get all stressed out over something that from the start is suppose to be relaxing, so I pick a cigar that I haven't had in a long time. Way down in the bottom was the last La Vieja Habana The Early Years Wavell, so I gabbed it and head out to the herf spot to meet my friends.

First blush of the cigar. Feel was really spongy, but this is expected from this cigar. The wrapper is a milk chocolate color with some veins. Overall construction was pretty good. I punched the end, been using a punch for the last month or so. Pre-light draw has taste of leather and cedar. Toasted the cigar and then lit it. At this point I will say my memories of this cigar are mostly of leather and being very earthy. With that said this cigar, for what ever reason, was very disappointing for the first two thirds, mostly grassy and somewhat bitter (over humidified?). It wasn't until I hit the last third that the cigar brought back tastes that I remember, leathery with a heavy earthy undertone. The burn was fairly even throughout the whole smoke with a very flaky light grey ash. I will say that the company I was with helped to alleviate the disappointment of the majority of the cigar.

Next week I will be smoking a rubusto from a sampler pack I bought from a outlet web site, until then happy herfing.

No comments: